Friday, April 25, 2014

3 Photos and What They Mean To Me

I caught a little photo bug this morning.  This created the need to post a few of the photos I took here.  All three of these photos were taken within a 30 minute time span.  The first as I was putting on my shoes, the second as I was feeding the chickens, and the third as I was trying to steal some sleep on my bus commute.

Photo 1:  Soccer Gear in a Row

Lately I have REALLY been enjoying my youngest's soccer team.  I coach this team and if any of you have ever tried to coach a group of 6 and 7 year old boys, you know that this can be a challenge.  You have to be careful not to push too hard but you also cannot let them pick flowers, play with sticks, touch each other, or build dust castles in the bare patches that are ever-present in a recreational soccer field.

Back to enjoying the team - they are GETTING it!  They are beginning to understand the game.  Soccer is growing in them.  I recently heard from a parent that their son is heading outside just to kick the soccer ball - this is a huge success in my mind.  When a child goes from soccer at practice only to soccer on their time, I have done my job - they are learning to love the game.

The picture below is near and dear to my heart.  It shows how much love my youngest has for the game.  As I was putting on my shoes this morning, I saw all his soccer gear (boots, guards, and socks) lined up and ready to go.  I smiled and felt amazing - Ashton is ready for his game on Saturday.


Photo 2: The Girls in Their Bedroom

The chickens were still in their coop this morning when I headed out to feed them.  We feed our chickens all of our table scraps (everything!) from the day before.  If you haven't ever fed chickens before, you need to stop by our house at first light when our chickens get their daily ration of table scraps.  They go nuts and fight over the best pieces (spaghetti is a favorite).  This morning the girls were still asleep.

Our girls crowd together in one of the nest boxes in their coop when they sleep.  It is a funny sight to see 8 chickens crammed into a small 12"x12" space but they manage it somehow.  This morning I tries to catch them all crammed together but they were ready for me.  As soon as I opened the nest box the girls fled.  It was like I caught them naked in their bedroom - just like a human caught naked, the girls rushed away to hide.  It was too funny and the photo below shows their surprise and their rush to get out of there and cover up.  Except for the two blonds - they just stayed there (hmmm).  :)


Photo 3:  My Bus Sleep

I was in a complete funk this morning despite the soccer and chicken experiences.  My bus commute is becoming a chore for me and a 25 minute self-loathing session.  I am working on mitigating the self-loathing by listening to music and trying to sleep.  It is working a little.

The first song that came into my ears this morning was "Master of Puppets" by Metallica.  I listened to less than 30 seconds of this song - it just wasn't right for me today.  For some reason I found myself clicking on the P!NK iTunes radio station and the first song that started playing was P!NK's "Try".  Although this song is about relationships, I can manipulate the lyrics to fit my struggles with my work, my life, and getting the Center for Snake Conservation flying.  This was a perfect song for me this morning and the photo below is of me trying to catch some sleep while embracing the lyrics of the song.


"Where there is desire
There is gonna be a flame
When there is a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try, and try, and try
Gotta get up and try, and try, and try
You gotta get up and try, and try, and try"


No comments:

Post a Comment