Thursday, April 3, 2014

Woodpecker Nap at the Office

Some days just aren't worth getting out of bed for - today was one of those days.  For some reason, I found myself in the shower staring up at the snow covering the skylight in the bathroom.  I knew then that I should just get back in bed.  I didn't though.

As I got ready for work, I looked outside.  The snow was still coming down.  It had completely covered the porch and yard but it sounded like the roads were okay.  Sounded?  Yes, from our house you can here the car tires and we judge the snow by listening.  If it sounds wet, we know that the roads are just slushy or even just wet from the snow.  If there is no sound except the occasional plow scraping by, we know there is packed snow on the roads.  This is a handy observation as you can prepare yourself for extra travel time if the roads are snow-packed. 

Snow Piling up on the back porch this morning

I knew I would have to scrape the snow off my car (Heather gets to park in the garage) before I headed to the bus stop.  Not a big deal but still a chore.

Halfway done scraping the windshield with more snow falling.
Needless to say, I arrived at the office about 10 minutes later than normal.  This isn't all that much of a delay considering the snow.  Actually, Denver only had a light dusting of snow - this is typical in Colorado (I live closer to the foothills which produce more snow).  Everything was going fine until I realized that today would have been better spent in bed. 
 
That brings me to my woodpecker nap.  I was the 2nd person in the office this morning which is typical unless I take the earlier bus.  I say good morning to my co-worker and then head into my office.  I boot up my computer, check email, eat breakfast, and then bam, I realize how freaking tired I was. 
 
What do I do?
 
I turn off my lights, prop my feet up on my desk, turn the woodpecker track on my Nature Sounds iPhone app, and watch the snow come down outside my window.  The woodpecker track has amazing sounds for me - I am put back into the woods in early spring listening to the birds.  I can imagine myself walking a creek or forest edge looking for snakes.  What more could I ask for as I watch the snow fall outside my office window?  Oh yeah!  Sleep.
 
Woodpecker Nap
The next thing I know, I hear my co-worker say, "Where did Cameron go?".  He was talking to the 3rd person in the office.  She responded, "Is he even here?  His lights are off.".  This jolts me awake and I respond quickly, "I just turned out my lights to watch the snow falling outside".  I had dozed off and was out cold just like my lights. 
 
Yes - today would have been better spent in bed.

1 comment:

  1. The is hilarious and lucky you with all that snow it would be nice if I got some out here this year.

    Hope you enjoyed your Woodpecker nap! =0)

    ReplyDelete