Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dreaming of Snakes - First Snake of 2014

FINALLY!!! A snake decided to show itself to me today.  I took a lunch time walk which turned into a snake hunt.  The plan was to walk 1 mile out and turn around but that didn't last long.  The temperature was around 55 degrees, the sun was filtered by a thin cloud layer, and a stiff breeze was blowing - PERFECT GARTERSNAKE WEATHER.  I took the bait and walked the extra 0.5 mile to one of my known hibernacula in Denver.

I was not disappointed - a wandering gartersnake was basking just outside of the hibernaculum.  Of course, the only camera I had on me was my work iPhone that had  thankfully recently been upgraded to a 5s.  The 5s has a quality video and photo camera so I got to work trying to document my first snake of year.  The video below is what I ended up with.  Not spectacular but enough to make me happy.

I finally found my first snake of 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment